Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day 4

Sat, June 18, 2011

Today we went to the beach in Jacksonville, which is where I flew in, and about an hour east of where Steve & Jenna live. On the way there from Lake City (the place they live) we saw lots of trees lining the road again but this time more houses, no farms, some trailers, some construction sites and a few prisons:) It was crazy to see them (the prisons), they look just like what you see in tv shows and movies!! I love it when that happens!! haha don't freak out mom, they don't hold serial killers as far as I know. But ya, def saw the big "watchtowers" and the huge fences all the way around looked like they were wrapped around about 5 times with barbed wire...who would WANT to attempt that? geez.
So we got to Jacksonville and parked around the corner from the beach entrance, just down the street from Joe's Crab House (I think that's its name), which looked like something you'd see on Forrest Gump or Spongebob Squarepants:) I think it's funny that buildings like that actually exist haha! We walked down a "boardwalk" that was lined with palm trees, carrying our bags and chairs and the baby and from there crossed over a bridge to the sand, which was WHITE. OH YA!! This is the Atlantic side!! haha The sand was so fine, it was beautiful! Steve says it gets absolutely everywhere because its so fine but I'm not feeling any now so that's good:) We set up the chairs decently close to the tide because I was worried about leaving our stuff so far away while we were all in the water...then we kept having to move the chairs further back because the tide kept coming in further and further on the shore about every 20 min or so:) Oh well we had a great time! Even Colby really liked it! He wasn't a crazy fan of the waves washing on him all the time but he liked the temperature: it felt like a warm bath!! Seriously, we're at the OCEAN and it's WARM!! And not too terribly salty either:) But yet again I think what was most shocking to me was that after I got out of the water I WASN'T COLD!! Even though there was a pretty good Alberta-like wind blowing, I just wanted to stand there and let it blow on me haha:) It's so crazy!! I'm so used to getting USED to the freezing water, then RUNNING to my towel for some sort of shelter from the breeze, but not here!! I could just live at the beach!! haha well maybe...:) We all had a great time, and Steve found and let me hold a dead jellyfish, so that was pretty neat. We found lots of seashells and Colby met lots of other kids playing in the sand:)
After the beach we ate supper at the Golden Corral. I've been there before, in Montana and Utah so I figured I'd know what to expect. It was mostly the same but I definitely tried a few things that I'd never heard of before (or that I'd ONLY heard of before in movies or books): southern-style black-eyed-peas (tasted similar to baked brown beans), fried okra (kind of like a mix between a jalapeno and a zucchini -- not spicy), fried squash, hushpuppies (fried cornbread), and cornbread stuffing. It was all pretty good, I'm glad I got to try new food:)


 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment